Monday, October 24, 2011

The Appalachian Quilt Trail


Appalachian Quilt Trail
 is a great way to experience one of the country's most scenic areas.

I'm back to tell you more about the quilt trail
and our journey along the way...
 Sunbonnet Sue

 Englewood History

Flower Garden
All three of these were on the side of the 
Community Action Group of Eglewood 
building.
 Listed as "Unamed" in the trail guide.

 Jacobs Ladder

These two were listed as being at Katy's Fabric 
in Englewood
We couldn't find them on the building anywhere,
so we went inside. The blocks had never
been put up. I made the  photographs
of them leaning against things in the storage room.
This one is just extra...she had done it in a window
frame...
Bear's Paw
We found this one on the outside wall
of the Cherohala Skyway 
Welcome Center
in Tellico Plains
Wagon Wheel
Robert E. Lee Restaurant 
Jacob's Ladder
Greeks Bearing Gifts
Log Cabin
Glen Whiting Building
 Shoo Fly
Riddle and Wallace Soda Shop
Flying Geese
Sir Lamps-a-lot/Pam's Pizza
Wrench
Cantrell and Burton
Courthouse Steps
Gentry's Gifts Gallery
Sailboat
Old Greyhound Bus Station/Gibson House
Does anyone know this pattern?
North Star
Madison Square Antique Mall
Drunkard's Path
Java on the Square
There were 15 blocks in Athens, Tennessee....
most were in the downtown area around the square
so we did a walking tour to find nine of these.
I would love to drive up to Shelbyville and Fayetteville 
and maybe Franklin one weekend 
and photograph the ones in that area.
There are also quite a few in the Knoxville area, 
maybe someone who lives there could photograph those.


Today, I will be traveling to Eufaula, Alabama
with some of my club members to
attend our state conference. Hopefully,
I'll have time to post while I'm there for the 3 days.

7 comments:

  1. I've seen them all over down through Knoxville to VA on lots of small state roads - 70, 25, 33.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun this must have been!! That one block -- the one you weren't sure of the name for -- is really intriguing. I wish I could help you out with a name for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stopping by to catch up with you! Sounds like you are keeping busy :) I love the quilts, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely way of displaying quilts and making it part of the countries history...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, those are amazing -- I am always in awe of people with such talent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would enjoy the search for these quilt blocks:-) At least now you've answered a question I had...last summer when I had gone to a wedding out of town, while driving through one of the small towns, I noticed quilt blocks like those on various buildings and I wondered why they were there! They must have been doing a quilt trail!!

    I hope you're having a wonderful time at the state conference! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are having way too much fun!!! This was so neat to see all the different patterns. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete