Wednesday, January 8, 2014
Wednesday Hodge Podge
Ahem, The Hodgepodge Questions-Volume 157
1. Every January 1st since 1976 Lake Superior University has published a list of words they'd like to see banished from the Queen's English. Words may be banished due to misuse, overuse or just general uselessness (go here to read more about how the words were chosen). Here are the words/phrases they'd like to see banished in 2014-
selfie, twerk/twerking, hashtag, Twittersphere, Mr. Mom, T-bone, ____on steroids, the suffixes-ageddon, and -pocalypse added to anything and everything, from the world of politics the words-intellectually/morally bankrupt and Obamacare, and from the world of sports the words-adversity and fan base
Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you'd like to add?
Really? Some of those I've never heard used. Obamacare seems like a misnomer to me so let's banish it.
2. What one unfinished project nags at you begging to be completed in this new year?
A genealogy scrapbook for the kids with their surname. I did ones for my side of the family and need to get the ones for Honey Bear's done while I still can, otherwise what good is all my research.
3. When did you last have a bowl of soup? What kind? Homemade or from a can? What's your favorite soup?
For dinner last night. Homemade Loaded Potato Soup. Lobster Bisque.
4. Snowed in, snowed under, snow job...which one most applies to your life in recent days, figuratively speaking.
snowed under as in too much clutter plus my regular cleaning service took holiday week's off in November and December and it fell during the week for my service.....add that to being under the weather health wise for weeks and you get the picture.
5. What's the funniest movie you've ever seen, or at least one of the funniest?
Recently, it would be Red 2.
6. In general, would you say you're clumsy?
Since I have balance problems due to having Meniere's Disease, I'd have to say yes...door ways jump out and hit me all the time.
7. Elvis Presley was born on Hodgepodge Day (January 8th) back in 1935. Are you an Elvis fan? What's your favorite Elvis tune? If that's too hard, which Elvis tune do you dislike the least? Click here for a list of his songs.
Yes, I was an Elvis Fan and it was sad when he passed away......Suspicious Minds.....I Did it My Way....The Battle Hymn of the Republic.....these are all great renditions in my view.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
After temperature readings in the single digits and wind chills in the minuses, today and tomorrow with highs in the 40s and 50s will seem like heat waves..........But I kind of like the January days of reflection and list making of projects to do.....I don't make resolutions as such but I do make a list of personal goals and projects for the year....
Thank you, Joyce, for continuing to come up with probing questions and for hosting........