Monday, February 16, 2015

Monday, Monday

Good Morning, all
First thing I did this morning was take the sheets off the bed and start laundry. Its 34 degrees F right now and raining....we may have sleet and ice later in the day....the thing I dislike most about winter is the icy conditions.....I can stay home but Honey Bear had to go take care of his patient.....Schools are out so no hazards there.....

I just put together soup in the slow cooker......this one:
         
Simple Slow Cooked Chicken Tortilla Soup

2-3 cups cooked chicken 
1 can RoTel, you might be able to also substitute with a cup of salsa if you’re all out of Rotel
15 oz. chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken condensed soup 
1 can corn, drained 
1 can black beans
1 can chili beans
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. garlic
1/4 cup onion, chopped

Directions
Dump the ingredients into slow cooker
Cook on low, 6-8 hours. You can add tortillas, cheese, sour cream when you serve it.

This can be frozen, also. I use can chicken, only one can.....I always have that on hand.  I also used a lot more broth. Honey Bear likes lots of liquid in his soup. I never measure onion because I know he likes a lot. I think I might have used half a cup. I have this on high so I can cut the cooking time. The onions are the only thing that need to cook, the rest just needs to "marry" their flavors. I also used a little more garlic from the jar in the fridge and maybe a little less chili powder.

I also need to make some slaw. I keep it made in the fridge all the time.
We spent a quiet weekend at home......Honey Bear bought a new car on Thursday and took possession on Friday so Saturday afternoon we took it out in the rural area to try it out. I drive a van which is very comfortable for my back as the seat is adjustable. Some cars are so low the seats are not comfortable for me. This car is a crossover and is a little better. The driver's seat does adjust up, down, forward and back so I could drive it. I'm not sure how comfortable the passenger seat would be for me on a long trip.

On my schedule today is to find a way to make the flower applique for the February SAL project easier......I'll sew a little and read a little, watch a little of a show on the computer, perhaps Downton Abbey's latest episode, and work on the puzzle on my kindle....nothing too taxing. Have a blessed day..
Mama Bear

4 comments:

  1. The soup sounds delicious. Stay safe and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy, that soup sounds just perfect for a cold winter's day. Thanks for sharing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're in the low 30s, too, with sleet and ice. Hubby even came home early from work, something he rarely does. I have an oven meal (Tater Tot Hot Dish) to go in a little later and am hoping the power doesn't go out.

    I am behind two episodes of Downton Abbey - thought I'd catch up with them today, but not so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mumma Bear. That soup sounds delicious. I think I will take a copy. Although it is not soup weather in Australia at the moment.
    Hugs Kay

    ReplyDelete