Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A Simple Woman's Daybook


Happy New Year!
It's 2013




From Mama Bear's Journal....
FOR TODAY...Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Outside my window...It's 49°F, 9°C and raining 'cats & dogs'.....yes, it is going to be another dreary, rainy day....I'm thinking the sun has mildewed as my dear Daddy used to say when we'd had days of rain as we've had lately....I know that these rains will help the soil sustain the drought of summer but it does nothing for my mood....all the critters are hunkered down somewhere trying to stay dry, I guess, cause I don't see anything but wet outside the window...

I am thinking...I need to get up and get busy in the craft room...I'm anxious to finish moving and creating a new space to work in.....

I am thankful...for the rain (I really am)...I know my heavenly Father knows what I need and He knows when we need rain so I'm thankful for it even if I'd rather see the sun shining....

From the kitchen...two pieces of cinnamon toast for breakfast....we had fish sandwiches for dinner last night.....leftover in the fridge is potato soup which is probably what will be for dinner tonight...we still have way too many sweets on hand from the holidays.

I am wearing...same as last daybook but not the same ones...

I am creating...a new smash book...I went to Michael's yesterday and bought one for me and for the Princess, bought Wonder Boy some gel pens and a sketch book...should have bought one for their Mom so I'll have to go back and get her one...journaling seems to be something I've passed on.......
.....space to work in.....plans for a new year in my women's club.......I need to do a scrapbook layout for the county about my club in 2012

I am going...to stay home today

One year ago today...or a year ago January 9 which was my first daybook of 2012, it was 56 degrees, wet and foggy....I was doing the stitching on the SAL quilt squares...reading Woman of Grace....I was planning to begin dismantling Christmas decorations....

I am wondering...what the new year will bring.....what goals I need to set for myself....what new projects to start.....what trips to plan....things to look forward to.....

These days I'm reading...Angels of Morgan Hill..........Has anyone read I am Number Four? This is a series of books about strangers from other planets which I'm considering and just wondered if anyone out there had read it........I'm trying to compile a book list for the new year....my bookclub will be picking the books we'll read this year on  Friday and each member is supposed to choose a couple for consideration....I've written down these: Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver, The Lost Wife by Alyson Richman, Orchard: A Memoir by Theresa Weir, and When She Woke by Hillary Jordan

I am praying...for the new year

I remember when...Mama cooked black eye peas and ham for dinner on New Year's Day......here's what About.com has to say about this tradition: On New Year’s Day, you’ll find people throughout the South eating black-eyed peas and greens. Many former Southerners have spread this tradition to other parts of the country. If this tradition is new to you, you probably have lots of questions – how did the tradition start? What do the foods symbolize? How do I cook them? Here are some answers to get you started.
Eating black-eyed peas on New Year’s has been considered good luck for at least 1,500 years. According to a portion of the Talmud written around 500 A.D., it was Jewish custom at the time to eat black-eyed peas in celebration of Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year. It’s possible that the tradition arrived in America with Sephardic Jews, who first arrived in Georgia in the 1730s. Common folklore tells that the tradition spread after the Civil War. The Northern Army considered the black-eyed peas to be suitable only for animals, so they didn’t carry away or destroy the crops.
There are a variety of explanations for the symbolism of black-eyed peas. One is that eating these simple legumes demonstrates humility and a lack of vanity. The humble nature of the black-eyed pea is echoed by the old expression, “Eat poor on New Year's, and eat fat the rest of the year.” Another explanation is that dried beans loosely resemble coins. Yet another is that because dried beans greatly expand in volume, they symbolize expanding wealth.
Clearly, a lot of people closely associate good luck with monetary gain. That’s where the greens come in (in case I need to spell it out, green is the color of U.S. currency). Any green will do, but the most common choices are collard, turnip, or mustard greens. Golden cornbread is often added to the Southern New Year’s meal, and a well-known phrase is, “Peas for pennies, greens for dollars, and cornbread for gold.” Pork is a staple of just about every Southern meal, so it’s usually cooked with the black-eyed peas. The pork seems to be there for flavor as opposed to symbolism, but some theorize that because pigs root forward when foraging, the pork represents positive motion.
There’s no single official way to prepare your black-eyed peas on January 1. One popular dish is Hoppin’ John, which is a mixture of black-eyed peas, rice, and bacon or ham hock. Some people throw a dime into the pot and believe that whoever winds up with the dime in their serving 
extra good luck for the coming year. Whenever I asked Mama why we had this food on New Year's Day every year, she said for good luck. I didn't like the peas then and I still don't so we'll not be eating them today.

I am looking forward to...a year filled with love, good health, time spent with family & friends, lots of good reads, service to others and memories made with my grandchildren....

A verse for today.."It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness" Lamentations 3:22&23

Discovering that....I have less inclination to toil on days when the sun doesn't shine....

I am hearing...water running into the washing machine as I just started a load of laundry

Around the house...Smokey is asleep beside me on the sofa, covered with a fleece throw.....the bed is made....kitchen is somewhat tidy....laundry is started....some gifts still need to be put away....Christmas lights are shining....and the studio beckons

Song that stays on my Mind...


A favorite quote for today..."If the will to walk is really present, God is pleased even with your stumbles:...CS Lewis

One of my favorite things...starting a new journal....a blank sheet....a fresh new page....the possibilities....

A few plans for the rest of the week:Lunch with my friend Rene tomorrow.....Book Club on Friday......

From my photo file....

Have you taken a look at the bears in my header photo? They look plum tuckered out from partying and eating so much food.........I see hibernation in their future........the bear above just looks pleased with himself. This one was designed by a friend and I believe will be my new header for a while.

Here's wishing you a beautiful day and a year filled with all the good things you're most fond of.....thanks for visiting me and for following me....I hope you find something on this site worth your time and worth coming back for. You all mean so much to me........I never imagined when I began blogging in 2006 that I would come to know and love so many people around the world whom I've only met through the written word but who I consider treasures of gold. God Bless you in 2013!!

7 comments:

  1. We grew up eating black-eyed peas on New Year's Day, too. But since my family doesn't like beans of any kind and we believe in providence rather than luck, we won't be having them, either. :-)

    Hope you have a wonderful 2013. I find that doing something engaging inside helps take my mind off the gloominess outside. Otherwise it can be very depressing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your answers!
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmmmmmmm, that leftover potato soups sounds just perfect on a cold rainy day. It has rained here, but not cats and dogs...just a fine mist and cloudy. Supposed to get down in the low 40s here tonight and the rest of the week. I'm ready for it after the long hot summer.

    Happy New Year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do split pea soup on New Year's Day! I hope you have a blessing-filled 2013, Sammie!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am from the south , but no black eyed peas or cornbread for me please! although there will be some of that at my relatives house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! This was a great read! Thanks for sharing... I did not know about that "tradition" and that it was good luck. We'll try that next year.

    CJR @ The Mami Blog
    http://cjrthemamiblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete