Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Simple Woman's Daybook



From Mama Bear's Journal
FOR TODAY...Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Outside my window...70°F21°C,mostly cloudy with a forecast high of 85 and a low of 59......everything is still mostly green and the Crepe Myrtles are still blooming.....Mr Hummingbird (bee bird) is sitting on a branch of the Maple Tree guarding the feeder which needs filling again......Mosquitoes try to take me away each time I step outside the door and Sneaky Snake hasn't put in an appearance in almost a week...

I am thinking...its time I got back to blogging on a regular basis

I am thankful...that Honey Bear and I were of like minds Sunday when we joined the church, both of us must have been thinking the time was right

From the kitchen...Parmesan Crusted Porkchops, Cheddar Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans for dinner tonight

I am wearing...red capris, a red and navy striped-3/4 length sleeved T-shirt and sandals 

I am creating...the cross stitch but I really need to get my last block of the "My Favorite Things" quilt embroidered and appliqued so I can put the top together...I've cut out part of the pieces for a bag and I've got the material and idea for a card but haven't started on it....I think I've been in hiatus from creating anything...

I am going...to the hairdresser this morning

One year ago today...It was 66 degrees but expected to reach 90...I was reading Wednesday Sisters.....finished with the Tis the Season quilt top and ready to quilt it...doing a Bible Study and participating in a swap.......we still had tomatoes and Okra in the garden....I hadn't put out FALL decorations yet.....the Princess was coming after school and we were going shopping

I am wondering...about Christmas shopping....I've always shopped early and usually am through with it by November but now the "grands" mostly want money (the boys anyway) and I don't have as long a list as I once did.........I do need to make a start, I have a few ideas in mind

These days I'm reading...Going in Circles

I am praying...for my friend who has a test later today

I remember when...school started right before Labor Day, we go a few weeks and then the Cotton would be ready for harvesting and school would only go half days.....my family picked Cotton, although we didn't have any fields of our own, we got paid for what we did so we had extra money for essentials...my sister and I were able to buy clothes that Mother couldn't make for us such as sweaters, shoes, coats and underwear....it was work but it was also fun and there was a sense of achievement and it was nice to be able to spend money we'd earned ourselves.......Saturdays were especially fun because we'd go to the field early in the morning when it was cool and then stop at lunch for a picnic in the field near the Cotton wagon.......when I was a little child, Mom made my picking sack because the ones furnished by the Farmers were too large for me, and at the end of the day, I got to ride to the house in the Cotton wagon.

I am looking forward to...Club meeting this week, State Conference and Vacation in October

A verse for today..." My thoughts are completely different from yours," says the Lord. "And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine." Isaiah 55:8

Discovering that....Simple things bring more pleasure the older I get.

I am hearing...the dryer

Around the house...the carpet needs cleaning again and my vacuum needs a new belt as the old one keeps slipping off.

Song that stays on my Mind..."Now you're my whole life, now your my whole world. I just can't believe the way I feel about you girl. I thought I loved you then." Then by Brad Paisley

A favorite quote for today..."October is a symphony of permanence and change" Bonaro W. Overstreet

One of my favorite things...sleeping in a cool room

A few plans for the rest of the week:County Council meeting tomorrow, Club meeting tomorrow night, hair cut for Honey Bear on Saturday

From my photo file....
As always, credit goes to Peggy at The Simple Woman for the creation of daybooks.

10 comments:

  1. I found your text had a message for me tonight! I guess what I think I need and what the Lord has planned might not be the same. I need to learn to trust more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to sleep in an ice cold room :)
    Congratulations on becoming a church member. Your cotton picking story made me smile- sweet memories you have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your October quote -- it's spot on! I also really enjoyed the pic of you and your daughter at Emma's! That's *such* a fun place! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dinner plans sound heavenly!!!! And your red capri outfit, I bet, is very pretty. Oh yes, the hummingbirds are taking over our yard [and keeping me busy filling the feeders] too. I love the day's verse you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blogging regularly is so hard for me! I started keeping a calendar with blog topics scheduled on particular days, but I'm still finding it hard to keep up.

    You have a couple "prompts" in your daybook that I've not seen before - "I remember when" and "This time last year." I'm going to add them. Enjoyed reading yours. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The mosquitos have been bad here too! Enjoyed your day book. have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That dinner sounds good. Your cotton-picking days sound fun. It is too bad that people are going away from children working a bit. We shouldn't go back to the days Dickens wrote about with children in factories and no schooling, but some degree of work builds confidence and self-esteem and an appreciation for work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello girl...... Loved the story about picking cotton. We picked cotten when I was a little girl right across the street from my grandmother.. We did it for fun after they had picked the field. I would not want to have done that for a living...... Did you have many cases of the West Nile Virus there in your home town. You talked about mosquitoes .. They have been so bad this year and so many cases of WNV here.. I hate the deet spray and it bothers my asthma but I guess it is better than being sick... hopefully those little monsters will go away soon...Looking forward to blogging on a regular basis myself. I have so missed it...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope your hair cut turned out well. Haircuts can be so traumatic! Enjoyed your blog, especially the bears. Keep it up. May the Lord bless your decision to join the church.

    ReplyDelete